South Africa has one of the best educational systems in Africa. It owns most of the leading universities which are ranked higher than many universities in other African countries. The growth of the educational system in the country was not only due to the educational policies but also due to the provision of well-trained teachers.
Top Teaching Colleges in South Africa
Teaching colleges in South Africa take teaching quite seriously and give their best by implementing the right teaching practices needed to trained high-quality teachers. This ensures that teachers are well-trained to teach and take care of students in any educational institution that they find themselves.
In this article, we are going to provide you with a list of teaching colleges in South Africa.
Embury Institute for Higher Education
Embury is one of the most advanced teacher training colleges in South Africa. It is fully registered as a private higher education institution with the Department of Higher Education and Training in South Africa.
Embury has three campuses in several parts of South Africa, where it offers its physical learning programs. The institution also makes provision for distance learning for students in South Africa and Namibia.
It offers several teacher qualifications including
- Higher Certificate in Pre-School Education (NQF 5)
- Diploma in Grade R Teaching (NQF 6)
- Bachelor of Education (Intermediate Phase Teaching)
- Bachelor of Education (Foundation Phase Teaching)
All of its programs excluding the Bachelor of Education In Intermediate Phase Teaching (NQF 7) are eligible for contact and distance learning. Its Bachelor of Education In Intermediate Phase Teaching (NQF 7) is only available in its campuses.
Lyceum College is one of the oldest higher educational institutions in South Africa. It was founded in 1917 to provide higher education distance learning in the country. The college was initially founded as Lyceum Advancement College, it was renamed to Lyceum College (Pty) Ltd in 2003.
Lyceum is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training and accredited by the Council on Higher Education.
It offers various qualifications depending on the type of programme and the duration of the programme. It offers the following qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Postgraduate Diploma
- Advanced Diploma
- Higher Certificate
The college has 4 faculties including a faculty of education through which it offers its teaching services. It provides teacher’s qualification through the following programmes
- Diploma in Grade R
- Early Childhood Development (ECD)
Rosebank College is one of the high-quality teaching colleges in South Africa offering quality teaching programs that build well-trained South African teachers. Since its inception, the college has been able to train over 17,000 high-quality teachers.
The college offers full-time and part-time courses. These courses can be studied through contact learning and distance learning.
The college is a brand of the Independent Institute of Education (IIE) through which it offers assurance of the quality of its services. It is also one of the most affordable teaching colleges in South Africa with flexible and affordable payment terms.
It boasts of three faculties including a faculty of education through which it offers its teaching programmes. Its teaching programmes include
- Bachelor of Education in Intermediate Phase Teaching
- Bachelor of Education in Foundation Phase Teaching
Varsity College is another brand of the Independent Institute of Education (IIE). It offers higher education learning in various faculties including a faculty of education.
Varsity College is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training. It is also accredited by other educational institutions in South Africa including the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
It is affiliated to several international corporate and educational partners that allow them to offer the best academic services. Some of their academic partners include
- The Open University UK (OU)
- The Business School
Varsity College offers full-time, part-time and short learning programmes in its faculties. The teaching programmes offered in its faculty of education include
- IIE Postgraduate Certificate in Education in Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching – Contact
- IIE Bachelor of Education (Intermediate Phase Teaching)
- IIE Bachelor of Education (Foundation Phase Teaching)
- IIE Higher Certificate (Early Childhood Care and Education)
Its entire teacher training programmes are fulltime except for its IIE Postgraduate Certificate in Education course.
St. Augustine College South Africa
St. Augustine College South Africa is the only Catholic Institution of higher education and one of the best teacher training colleges in the country. It was established in 1999 and began providing qualifications to postgraduate students.
The college has grown over time and has now included other qualifications. It offers undergraduate, masters and doctorate degrees in various departments.
- Bachelor of Commerce (PPE)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Bachelor of Theology (BTh)
- Higher Certificate in Biblical Studies
- BA (Hons) in Peace Studies
- BA (Hons) in Philosophy
- BA (Hons) in Theology
- MPhil in Theology
- MPhil in Philosophy
- MPhil in Culture and Education
- MPhil in Applied Ethnic
- Doctor of Philosophy in Philosophy
- Doctor of Philosophy in Theology
False Bay TVET College
False Bay TVET College is an educational institution offering technical and vocational training to individuals in South Africa. The college has 6 campuses in South Africa through which it offers its teaching services.
The college offers full-time, part-time and short learning programmes which students can apply to study either on campus or through distance learning.
Its teacher training programmes.
- National Diploma (Early Childhood Development)
- CAPS: Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement
- National Certificate: Educare N4 – N6
- Early Childhood Development – ECD Practitioner Assistant NQF Level 1
Lesotho College of Education
Lesotho College of Education was established as the National Teacher Training College (NTTC) in 1975. It was renamed to the Lesotho College of Education in 2002 and then became a public institution.
The college has two campuses, both are located in South Africa. It has three faculties including the faculty of education which provides education courses. Its services are aimed at training students to become effective teachers.
The faculty of education consists of the following departments.
- Professional Studies
- Early Childhood, Development, and Special Education
- 10 Best Schools in Johannesburg
- List of Teaching Colleges in South Africa
- Top 10 Nursing Schools in South Africa
- Studying Medicine in South Africa: Requirements & Steps
- 10 Best Accounting Universities in South Africa
- 10 Best Medical Schools in South Africa (2019)
- List of Accredited Online Universities in South Africa
- 10 Best Universities in South Africa for Engineering
- Top 10 Best Colleges in South Africa (2019)
- 9 Short Courses in Demand in South Africa
- 10 Best Schools in Pretoria
- Fisher-Price in South Africa
- 10 Cheapest Universities in South Africa
- What to Study in South Africa: Options & How to Decide
- 10 Best Business Schools in South Africa (2019)
- QuickBooks Prices in South Africa
- 10 Best Law Universities in South Africa