The demand for online universities has been on the increase in South Africa. There are many benefits to studying online especially for those who are unable to finance trips to the university campus.
Online universities give those with jobs or businesses a chance to advance their career without having to leave their jobs or put their business on pause.
The flexibility that comes with studying online cannot be compared to being in a face-to-face classroom. You can easily interact with your instructor and your fellow classmates at the time of your choosing.
It is also cheaper to study online. Studying online means you wouldn’t have to worry about transportation and housing costs. This makes it easier to fund online education.
Studying online is a great way to acquire more degrees in a short period of time. You could take several online courses and still attend university. All these have made online universities very popular.
Accredited Online Universities in South Africa
The problem that arises with studying in an online university in South Africa is finding a university that is reputable and accredited to offer online courses. Accredited online universities provide valid degrees and certificate for the programs they offer.
They also have the best online systems for learning. You can check out the list of accredited online universities in South Africa below.
1. University of Cape Town
The University of Cape Town is one of South Africa’s top universities with a population of more than 28,000 students. It is one of the oldest universities in South Africa and a top-ranking university in Africa.
The University was initially founded as the South African College in 1829 and elevated to university status in 1918. The university has 6 faculties and about 50 departments through which it offers its undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
It offers various online courses to interested individuals. Most of its online courses are short courses and are offered free of charge.
Some of these courses include:
- Project Management Foundations
- Property Development and Investment
- Digital Marketing
- Operations Management
- Basis of Financial Management
- Julia Scientific Programming
- Medicine and Arts: Humanizing Healthcare
2. Witwatersrand University
The University of the Witwatersrand was founded as the South African School of Mines in 1896. It is one of the oldest universities in South African and one of the largest with a population of over 38,000 students.
The university offers various online part-time and postgraduate studies to individuals within and outside South Africa. It offers its postgraduate courses through the Wits Business School and the School of Governance.
Its online postgraduate courses include
- Online Fundamentals of Business Administration
- Online Fundamental of Public and Development Management
- Online Core Concepts in Digital Business
It offers other online courses in partnership with DigitalCampus. Below are the courses offered:
- Advanced Project Management
- Applied Digital Marketing
- Basic Business Accounting
- Health and Safety Representative Training
- IT Management for CIO Teams
- International Trade: Freight and Cross-Border Management
3. University of Pretoria
The University of Pretoria is one of the oldest and highest-ranking universities in South Africa and Africa. The university has more than 59,000 students enrolled in its programs with more than 10,000 of them involved in distance learning.
The University offers various online courses in various faculties. Unlike many other South African universities offering the online option, their short online courses are not offered for free.
However, the charge is less significant compared to what you would have to pay if you were learning in a face-to-face classroom.
Below are some of the online courses offered by the university.
- Non-Radiological Diagnostic Imaging of the Horse
- Online Course in Project Risk Management
- Online Course in Supply Chain Management in Public Officials
- Online Course in Pedagogical Management (PCEL, Module 7)
- Online Course in eBusiness and eCommerce
- Online Course in Food Microbiology
- Online Course in Legal Collections
4. University of Stellenbosch
The University of Stellenbosch is one of the oldest and highest-ranking universities in South Africa. The university has a population of about 30,000 students in its undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
It offers online teaching services in various courses, however, most of these courses are for postgraduates.
Some of its online courses include:
- Teaching for Change: An African Philosophical Approach
- Customer-centric Management Strategy
- Financial Management Fundamentals
- Human Resource Management
5. University of Johannesburg
The University of Johannesburg provides world-class teaching services through its teaching facilities and professionals. The university was formed after the merger of Rand Afrikaans University, the Soweto and East Rand campuses of Vista University, and the Technikon Witwatersrand.
It is one of the largest contact universities in South Africa and one of the reputable and accredited online universities in the country.
The University of Johannesburg offers the following online courses:
- Advanced Diploma in Financial Markets
- Advanced Diploma in Transportation Management
- Advanced Diploma in Logistics
- Advanced Diploma in People Performance Management
- Bachelor of Commerce in International Accounting
- Bachelor of Human Resource Management
- Master of Education in Educational Management
- Master of Public Health
6. University of Western Cape
The University of Western Cape was established in 1960 as a university for coloured people only. The university was established to end the segregation of higher education in the country. Today, it is a multiracial institution accepting individuals from all races in South Africa and around the world.
The university offers several 100% online courses. They include:
- Management Development Programme
- Senior Management Development Programme
7. University of the Free State
The University of the Free State was established in 1904 as a tertiary institution. It was one of the white-only universities during the apartheid system in South Africa. It was fully de-segregated in 1996.
The university offers severally online courses. They include:
- Advanced Certificate In Teaching – Foundation Phase
- Advanced Certificate In Teaching – Intermediate Phase
- Advanced Certificate In Teaching – Senior Phase English FAL
All Advanced Certificate in Teaching courses offered by this university is 100% online and accredited in South Africa.
- Top 10 Nursing Schools in South Africa
- 10 Best Business Schools in South Africa (2019)
- 10 Best Accounting Universities in South Africa
- List of Teaching Colleges in South Africa
- 10 Best Universities in South Africa for Engineering
- 10 Best Medical Schools in South Africa (2019)
- Studying Medicine in South Africa: Requirements & Steps
- List of Accredited Online Universities in South Africa
- 9 Short Courses in Demand in South Africa
- Top 10 Best Colleges in South Africa (2019)
- 10 Best Schools in Johannesburg
- 10 Best Schools in Pretoria
- QuickBooks Prices in South Africa
- 10 Cheapest Universities in South Africa
- 10 Best Law Universities in South Africa
- Fisher-Price in South Africa
- What to Study in South Africa: Options & How to Decide