Videogames come in various shapes, sizes, and models, and are a valuable source of entertainment. For example, A $50 FIFA 2017, as affordable as it can be, can provide hours of entertainment. It doesn’t matter whether it’s being played alone in your living room or along with a group of friends in a game cafe or in an electronic competition.
You will agree that just sitting around passing the controller of your PS4 between your friends and loved ones is fun. This is why most young men look forward to game nights and hangouts.
Sony PlayStation 4 & Prices in South Africa
In this post, we take a look at the prices of Sony Play Station 4 in South Africa. We will also look at the history of PlayStation 4 and the different types that exist.
How enjoyable is the Sony PS4?
No matter where you are from, whether African, European, Indian or Jamaican, videogames can be really acceptable and enjoyable. Consequently, such enjoyments can inspire and influence movie plots and comic twists.
Most young people know what PS4 means. It is an abbreviation of PlayStation 4 just like PS is an abbreviation for PlayStation.
Most of those young people, whether rich or poor have had an experience or two with PS. We all had an opportunity to play on it with our more privileged friends, or walked into a game house and had a good time with it.
Some of us prefer arcade games, some – racing games, and some – soccer games. Whatever your preference or specialty is, we all agree that gaming can be so much fun. Some of us have memories where we have completely lost track of time while being engrossed in a good gaming experience.
PlayStation is a videogame console developed and marketed by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is the most famous and internationally acclaimed gaming console. As a matter of fact, PlayStation was the first “complete entertainment platform” to ship over a hundred million units. This feat had been achieved 9 years after its initial launch.
Prices of PS4 in South Africa
Here is a list of PlayStation 4 product line and how much they cost in South Africa.
- Sony PlayStation 4 – R5,699 – R7,499
- Sony PlayStation 4 Pro – R7,599
- PS4 Slim Console – R4,999
Brief History of the Sony PlayStation Product Line
PlayStation was first released on December 3, 1994 in Japan. It was later released on September 9, 1995 in North America, 29 September 1995 in Europe, and on 15 November 1995 in Australia.
PlayStation was the first release of the PlayStation lineup of videogame consoles. As at the time that PlayStation was released, it had to compete with the likes of Nintendo 64 and Sega Saturn.
The PlayStation 2 was released in 2000. The PlayStation 2 has been the highest selling gaming console to date. It sold well over 155 million units by the end of 2012. PlayStation also released a handheld game console known as PlayStation Portable or PSP, with a successor known as the PlayStation Vita.
Sony’s latest console, the PlayStation 4 which was released in 2013, is known as the fastest-selling console in history. The PlayStation 4 sold a million units within a day of its release.
Sony PlayStation has also successfully sold its main series of controllers which is the DualShock. The DualShock is a vibration-feedback gamepad that comes along with most of Sony’s PlayStation gaming console product lines.
PlayStation was originally a joint project between Nintendo and Sony in order to create a CD-ROM for the Super Famicom, also known as the Super Nintendo System (SNES). SNES is a 16-bit home videogame console developed by Nintendo that was released in 1990 Japan and South Korea, which was a global success.
Ken Kutaragi, a Sony executive known as the “father of PlayStation” convinced Sony to develop the PlayStation project to rival Nintendo. This was because of unresolved revenue-sharing agreements with Sony.
Ken Kutaragi worked with the CEO of Sony Music, which now housed the PlayStation. The older generation of Sony executives strongly opposed the project. As a result of this new development, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. was formed on November 16, 1993.
- PlayStation 4: PlayStation 4 is the latest videogame console from Sony Computer Entertainment. It was announced on February 20, 2013. Sony PlayStation had begun the development of the PlayStation 4 as early as 2008. The delay was because Sony wanted to avoid launching the next generation console behind the competition. The eighth-generation system comes with x86 architecture.
- As part of the PlayStation 4 applications and services, Sony has introduced the PlayStation App. This allows PS4 users to use their smartphones and tablets as a second screen to enhance the gameplay experience. The PlayStation 4 also comes with a feature that allows users to share and stream the gaming experience with friends.
- PlayStation 4 Slim: The PlayStation 4 Slim, also known as a revision for PS4 was unveiled on September 7, 2016. It was released on September 15, 2016. It’s a refinement of the original PS4 hardware, it comes in a slimmer streamlined form factor. It is 40% smaller than the original PS4 and a minor upgrade to the DualShock 4 controller. Sony PlayStation released PS4 Slim with a 500 GB storage at the same price as the original PS4 model.
- PlayStation 4 Pro model: PlayStation 4 Pro or PS4 Pro was released in September 2016. It is an updated version of the PlayStation 4, it also comes with improved hardware, an upgraded GPU and a higher CPU clock. The PlayStation 4 Pro model is designed in order to allow selected games to be playable at 4K resolution. The best thing about PlayStation 4 is that all the games are backward and forward compatible between PS4 and PS4 Pro.
Now you know all about the PlayStation 4 and the prices in South Africa. The PlayStation 5 will soon be here. It is billed to be released in the Year 2020. Sony intends to ship it to the ends of the world, but while we wait, let us enjoy the PlayStation 4.